Sunday, April 12, 2009

Remember the worth of souls is great

This is my BEAUTIFUL Grandma Coombs. Today is her birthday. She is not with us here in mortality anymore. She has been gone for more than 23 years now. She has been gone for more years than I was able to spend with her. She was/is an amazing role model for me.

Grandma will always be my first memory of unconditional love. She was the first to plant the seeds of a testimony in my heart. She taught me the love of family. She was the first to believe in me and the first to make me feel like I had something to offer.

Grandma gave me some of my first addictions too: General Hospital, Lawrence Welk, music, singing, shopping, eating out and LDS books. (I am grateful to say I have overcome the soap opera addiction, but still have all the rest)

Some of my favorite memories of Grandma include riding the skyride at Lagoon, sleepovers, letting me sleep with her when the noisy mice scared me, remembering how brave I thought she was when she caught one and flushed it down the toilet. I remember her bringing me and Grandpa drinks when I would rest with him on the sofa and he was sooo sick. I remember new pajamas and underwear from ZCMI, a new book from Desert Book and a surprise from Avon for birthday presents. I remember sugarfree candy and the Jewel T man. I remember back yard BBQ's and Romeo and Duke. I remember eating at Wendy's and KFC. I remember visits to Grandma Bott's, walks to aunt Helen and uncle Dale's and playing in the ditch in front of the Bodily's. I remember weekday bowling leagues and not having to go to the childcare, and drining Tab. I remember 4th of July at Murray Park and family Christmas parties. I remember saturday night baths and getting my hair washed (and she never yelled at me when I screamed my head off, thanks aunt Mary too) I remember sunday mornings and late afternoon Sacrament meetings. I remember loving to hear her sing, and I loved to go with her to church when she served. I remember weekday Relief Society and visits from her when I babysat for aunt Mary. I remember her picking me up from aunt Marys and driving me all the way home to Kearns so I wouldn't have to ride the bus alone in the dark after babysitting. I remember she would just let me talk a mile a minute and listen like I was her only care in the world. I understand now what a sacrifice that was for her. I remember how much she loved her grandchildren and how proud she was of all of them. Now that I am older I have a new appreciation for all the sacrifices she made. I have a new appreciation for the love she had for her family.

I am so grateful to have her as my first role model and as my Grandma. I think it fitting that her birthday and Easter fall on the same day this year. It is such a great reminder that He lives and that she lives. That the love they both have for me is real and still there. That the sacrifices and the work they both accomplished on this earth were for my good. The knowledge that I will see her again one day is gift and a blessing that I treasure.

Happy birthday Grandm Coombs. I love you! Thanks for everything.

Now I think I will go read a Shirley Sealy book while listening to Lawrence Welk :o)

4 comments:

Linda Aukschun said...

How beautiful, Tasha. I love your blog. Did you see mine at laukschun@blogspot.com?

The Burila Bunch said...

If I think about her room, and sleeping next to her in her bed, and listening to her radio, that could make me feel so loved and feel peace. Thinking that she wore a girdle...but realizing what it truly was...She is an Elect Lady, and I am thankful that she made sure that we were baptized and were given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Which she must have known is one of greatest gift we can recieve outside the Temple. She loved us and we knew it. She loves us and we know it. I hope I am that kind of mother and grandma(someday far off). Tash, I love you. Thanks for being a good sister. You will one day get the chance to be that kind of Grandmother (alot sooner than me). Love ya!!

Terri Porter said...

Tasha, that was really sweet. Everyone needs a Grandma like that. You are indeed blessed to of had such richness in your life.
But I have to ask.....Lawrence Welk?
Your not that old.

Denalee said...

What a sweet tribute Tash.